Life on the X-Bar Ranch...

I am an ordinary woman, with an amazing family, serving an awesome God.

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Down Home Cinnamon Rolls

I grew up working in my mom's bakery. I got so tired of home-made baked goods, that now I am a real baked-goods snob! I only like homemade things if they are just perfect.
Of course, perfect is different for everyone. For instance, my one friend likes nearly-black toast!!! Can you imagine?! (smile) My toast has to be just light golden brown, slathered in butter and drizzled with raw honey. Or homemade jelly. Mmmm.
 
 
OK, so - cinnamon rolls!
One of the baked treats I still love is a fresh, warm cinnamon roll, with caramel icing melting into every crevice. (The cowboys enjoy these for break on a chilly morning. :)
Here is the recipe I use.
(photos are iPhone quality. Sorry.)
 
Put all the dough ingredients into the bowl of your mixer. (I use a KitchenAid)
Mix for 3-4 minutes, or until well mixed and starting to clean the bowl.
Oil a large bowl and place the dough into it - turning dough once to cover with oil.
Let raise till double.
 
Oil a clean place on your counter, roll dough out to about a 1/2 inch thick. Spread with softened butter. Sprinkle generously with brown sugar and cinnamon.

 
Roll up tightly, pulling the dough a little so it is real tight. Pinch the edges shut, and slice into 11/2 inch slices. It doesn't matter if the slices are 'squished' a little - they will bake out mostly round, and after all, they taste just as good uneven! (smile) Let go of the perfectionism, people! I like to use a buttered chef's knife, myself. Just chop those slices off.



Place the rolls on a baking sheet or in several round pans. Let them rise till doubled, approximately.

Bake at 350* for 20 minutes, or until the tops are just turning golden. Don't over bake, or they will be dry. Dry is very bad.
While they are in the oven, make your icing. While the rolls are still quite warm, spread the icing over them, letting the icing melt and drip into every yummy crevice.
 
Your house will smell amazing and your family will love you.
Make a pan to share with your neighbor.
 
Or some hungry cowboys.
Here's the branding crew last spring - eating my cinnamon rolls during break.
:)
 
Down Home Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
1 cup warm milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 T. yeast
Mix in bowl, let set 5 minutes.
Add:
2 eggs
1/3 cup melted butter
1 tsp salt
4 cups flour
Mix well, let raise til doubled.
Roll out, spread with 1/3 cup butter,
then sprinkle with:
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 T cinnamon
Roll up, slice into 1.5 inch slices, place in greased pans.
Rise till doubled. Bake at 350* 20 minutes or till golden brown.
Spread with frosting while still warm.

Frosting recipe:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
Melt over low heat, cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add 1/4 cup milk and continue stirring till it comes to a boil.
Remove from heat and add 1 3/4 - 2 cups powdered sugar.

Alternate cream cheese frosting: (this is the one I make for the cowboys usually.)
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Cream all together well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments! It's fun to hear your thoughts. I do receive spam, therefore I must now moderate all comments. I do publish them just as written. Thanks for understanding!