Here is the rest of the branding day.
First, this is the grill-thingy I was talking about, that we use to heat the irons in. It's alot faster than a fire. Not to mention portable. I didn't have a picture of the cooler of pop, which is the only thing I am interested in today. I am so thirsty for a cold Coke. And the nearest one is 20 miles away. That's what I get for living on a ranch. It has its downside - just sayin'.
The trusty Leatherman knife. Cutting off the eartag, and replacing it.
1. The rancher hosting the branding usually doesn't ride. He stays afoot to keep the process going.
2. It's customary for the rancher hosting to feed the crew lunch. Traditionally its a feast, with beef as the main dish, but some ranchers that either don't have womenfolk, or the women are also riding, have really slacked off in this regard. Our boss's wife always makes a feast. Truly. Its the highlight.
3. You DO NOT go to a branding uninvited. It's bad manners.
4. If you do get invited to a branding, don't make problems. Stay clear of those working, and don't spook the broncey horses. Trust me.
5. And of course, the #1 ranch rule.... If You Open A Gate - Close It.