Life on the X-Bar Ranch...

I am an ordinary woman, with an amazing family, serving an awesome God.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Toddler Dress from a Tank Top.

I had this tank top that I never wore, and when I was tired of it laying about, I was gonna throw it out. But then I thought: "Hmm, there has to be something I could make with this..." (The packrat in my soul finds it very difficult to throw anything.)
So, I dreamed up this quickie dress for my youngest. It took me probably 15 minutes. My little girl is 2 years old, and 36 inches tall, to give you an idea of what size this is. I think it would fit from 18 mo - 3T, depending on how you sew on the skirt, etc.
Materials needed:
one tank top
one tee-shirt
thread
scissors
marker or pen
ruler
sewing machine
 I used a ruler to make sure the cutting line was straight. Just measure the same amount in from the hem in several spots. I did 11 inches, but you could do whatever you need.
 Fill in between the marks to make a solid line, then cut through both layers of fabric along the line.

 Then sew a basting stitch along the cut edge, and pull the string gently to gather. Gether till the skirt matches the top in circumference.

 Then you sew the tee-shirt down on top of the skirt. Both pieces should be right side out, just like the finished product will be. Knit fabric (t-shirt fabric) won't unravel, so you don't have to finish the edges. yay!) If your t-shirt is kinda longish, or if your toddler is shorter, just sew the skirt up further on the t-shirt. The t-shirt I used was pretty short, and my girl is long, so I sewed it right by the edge.

 Ta-da!! I love t-shirt dresses on toddlers. They are super easy, practical, and comfy. If you don't have an old tank, you could also use a rectangle of any cloth for this dress. Easy-peasey.
                                                     Goofy kid.

1 comment:

I enjoy reading your comments! It's fun to hear your thoughts. I do receive spam, therefore I must now moderate all comments. I do publish them just as written. Thanks for understanding!